jueves, 26 de octubre de 2017

Z Fish Report (10/26/17)

Russ Weaver on the panga Dos Hermanos III with Jesus
 Offshore (average) surface water temperature - Includes from the 5-6 mile mark at the 100 fathom line, then to the 1,000 fathom line being at 32 miles: 86°.
Inshore (average) surface temperature. From the beach to about 5 miles: 86°
Blue water: (Chlorophyll amounts and surface temps from Terrafin SST) Per the below satellite photo: The blue water current is trying to create blue water from the beach on out. But, heavy releases from the hydroelectric dam on the Rio Balsas River are sending millions of gallons of nutrient rich fresh water (chlorophyll) out into the Pacific, creating a clean water, and even a bit green on the beaches above Zihuatanejo. The Rio Balsas is the largest river in Mexico, and outlets at the deep water port of Lazaro Cardenas, about 45 nautical miles above Zihuat.
Offshore- With few clients here, about the only boats fishing offshore are the commercial pangeros. And, traveling 40-45 miles they are getting a few blue marlin, yellowfin tuna, and a few dorado. It is not wide open, but the fish are there and can be caught.
Dominique Messeri
Inshore: With the heavy rains gone, the beaches are clearing up again, and the water temperatures are warm. This means roosterfish! And they are here.
Note the tattoo - a rooster chasing bait. I bet that leads to
some interesting conversations in France.
Dominique Messeri, the wife of the late Jean Pierre Messeri came back to Zihuatanejo to fish with Adolfo on the panga Dos Hermanos a few more times. She is a world class fisherman herself.  They are from France. With her husband and Adolfo, they created legends from the catches they had. And, all fish were taken on spin gear. Here is what Jean emailed me three years ago: I have been fishing Zihuatanejo for 14 years, and 12 of them with Adolfo. On every trip I keep precise records of species caught, inshore and offshore. My wife also fishes with me on every trip.
On the panga Dos Hermanos I have recorded 312 roosters, with 35 equal to, or more than 30 kilos (66 pounds). I only keep my records for memories and a photo.” … Imagine that! He caught 35 roosters greater than 66 pounds…incredible.

Also, long time fisherman with Adolfo and the Dos Hermanos pangas, Russ Weaver of Corvallis, Oregon fished a day with Adolfo, and another day with Jesus (Hey-sus) on the Dos Hermanos III. He caught 14 roosterfish in two days of fishing. Russ Emailed me this: “I went fishing with Adolfo, with Adolfo Junior as the deckhand, on the Dos Hermanos. Adolfo said on the way out “my season starts today”. He’s obviously ready with fresh paint, cushions, a new motor, etc.” We went south and ended up all the way to Papanoa. I missed on the first three roosters raised before re-gaining my abilities. After Adolfo’s coaching I boated 9 smaller sized roosters on the spin cast surface popper. Weird day on the beach, with no jacks whatsoever – just roosters. On the way back we chased the barrriletes and boated about a dozen or so before finishing the long run back. (These were given to the poor people on the pier after we arrived).

One of the many smaller sized roosters Russ took with Adolfo.
With Jesus on the Dos Hermanos III, after catching smaller roosters on Monday it was nice to get into a big one on the fourth cast. Unfortunately, it broke off while running back to the beach. Not too long after, I was able to boat a really nice 30lb class rooster. I ended with 5 total roosters for the day. On the way back we worked jacks whose presence was given away by birds, and ended up with a couple of them as well. 

We saw Adolfo while we were working the jacks. I believe they got 3 roosters and several jacks today.  He also went out yesterday. It’s hard to tell from Facebook how many fish they caught.

Jesus told me, with the boats out of the water, new paint and motors, it was his first day of fishing in 3 months! I’m glad I got Adolfo once, but I really like Jesus. He and I have a great rapport.


Ed Kunze                                                                            
 (Director of the Roosterfish Foundation, IGFA Representative)


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario